Skip to main content

Every Two Weeks

The buttons on the phone are telling me,
The little voice in my head agrees continuously,
I know I should and I will,
But I can't help but think nervously.

We are now good friends,
And I've called times before.
We don't dive down deep into each other,
But I would like to dig down to the ground floor.

I finally pick up the phone,
I hold it and juggle the device.
My thumb covers the button numbered one,
This feeling won't pass, so a conversation will suffice.

Once I pressed the first buttons,
The rest comes a lot easier.
The next moment could be the toughest,
The phone rings and my greeting begins to sound cheesier.

Who will be the one to pickup?
There is only a fifty-fifty chance draw.
I really hope it is she,
For this call is for her and not to be flawed.

I await the click sound of the reception,
Time is so slow during my anxiety.
Until someone picks up the phone,
My pessimism believes it is someone else in her city.

************************************************************

When I'm not spending that small amount of time,
On the phone with that wonderful girl,
She constantly eats away at my mind,
Invading my time and conquering my world.

Her beauty pierces my armour,
Her smile melts away my protection,
Her body so small yet so powerful,
She can't help but have my affection.

Honestly, I think I would be stupid,
To want her out of my mind,
My memory of her is the sun in the rain,
And she is the cure I am trying to find.

The long distance is painful,
The uncertainty is killer,
The summer was regretful,
And this phone call is all I have of her.

************************************************************
The first ring passes by my ear,
The initial check of my nerves, are they up?
But it was only one ring,
Sooner or later someone will pick it up.

The second ring finally comes,
Who is going to say what?
The following silence is short but long,
Long enough to think many thoughts.

Another ring makes the wait eternal,
Just to hear a voice on the other side.
I know it will be worth it in the end,
Because the communication seems to glide.

Three rings have passed,
None of them comes too soon or too late.
Three is probably an average number of rings,
For anyone to wait.

But wait, a fourth ring rains upon me,
Rains down like a sudden storm that flew in,
And how was I to know,
That a fourth would have blown in.

************************************************************

She was the pinnacle of a year
That had a number of achievements,
And more memories,
Plus the dumbest mistakes and embarrassments.

She was the one that made it all,
Made it all seem so irrelevant,
Made it all seem like second string events,
What I saw in her was so god sent.

************************************************************

Well, I must be the luckiest guy right now,
Because she is the one who picked it up.
I know I won't say anything I wanted,
But her hello is what picks me up.

I reply to the sweet voice,
And she immediately recognizes mine.
As if she knew I was calling,
It had been two weeks and it was only a matter of time.

Every moment of her sound I want back,
To playback and enjoy some more.
What I saw months ago and read weeks ago,
Is reflected and more in her telephone music score.

Any topic we choose and talk about,
Seems more important that the issues around.
I listen attentively and reply quickly,
To my new cliché which is her sound.

************************************************************

Even as we talk for hours on the phone,
I can't help but think of the things I have confessed.
Maybe I haven't said anything special on the phone,
And maybe it's because talking makes me feel blessed.

I've written to her before,
What I wished and hoped I could do,
How I would drop it all here where I live,
Move to where she is and try to make us happy too.

With so much time to think,
I can't help but have her in my mind,
And try to think of something that could soon,
Bring us back together and make us two of a kind.

I don't want to try too hard,
For there is much time in between now and then,
And I just want to share what we have,
And not ruin it and kill the chance of it happening again.

************************************************************

The numbers on the clock has passed,
In a matter that is faster than the conversation.
We don't seem to have much to say anyway,
And the yawning has taken the place of discussion.

Whether it was a long day for her,
Or perhaps a busy 12 hours of mine,
Our chat must come to an end,
And so begins the good-byes of restrain.

Any further thoughts would be invited,
Any further comments are warranted,
A chance to say something of meaning,
But the cowardliness has been permitted.

************************************************************

I couldn't tell her then,
It wasn't the time,
Of course I know better to do something like that,
But the time will come, sometime.

************************************************************

Her voice softens,
My heart melts as she articulates just right.
I tell her to feel better by the next time we talk,
And we begin our descent into the night.

The conversation begins to pick itself up as we say our good-byes,
She says the goodnight so softly,
And I tenderly say to her a goodnight,
Then she lays her phone down to hang it up so gently.

Another hour or two spent on the phone together,
Another two weeks until we talk again.
I haven't seen her in over 8 months,
But these phone calls are going to be my long-term gain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Washboard Blues

My favourite saying of late Is that I wanna cry. The world has been crumbling around The people The state of affairs The disbelief. I say the words Jokingly But there's a piece of me That would kindly accept A tear... Or two. There have been more days Than less That I could use a reset button. I would start it all again, There are times where I regret Everything. If I wanted to live with no regrets I probably could have done more I probably could have said more I should have meant more. Morbidity Mortality Time... All things weighing me down. There's this sudden end It's coming soon Sooner for some Not soon enough for others But it's coming. If I was to go right now Away Gone Left it all behind... I don't want anyone to think of me After the fact. I don't think many will Some might A passing glance Something to do But I'll be gone Somewhere more To where I'm supposed to be. Africa Asia Europe Or Beyond. I haven't quite decided Yet But I will.

Snowy Interval

Our winter is right around the corner And the thought takes me back To when we found ourselves Last time around In the coldest of days. Even in those harshest of elements In the coldest of all the months I couldn't feel the chill Because between your smile and your words They were the best of days. And just like the unpredictable Alberta weather The storms rolled in I tried to stand my ground Withstand the worst of what it could throw Until I found the peace to know the storm was me. The summer months were devastating The air was dry The sun was unrelenting It was a record year But the chill in the empty hole was all I knew. The leaves have been falling awhile The mind wanders when unchecked Smelling the weather changing Has the heart reeling For another one of those great snowy intervals.

Not Yet

I'm trying to resist It shouldn't really happen I don't even know for sure. It's a good thing Not knowing keeps me from falling Too far from too much.